The Downtown Improvement Board (DIB) was created by the Kearney City Council to oversee the Offstreet Parking District #1. The DIB consists of five members, all of whom own, operate and/or manage businesses within the District.
The DIB advises and makes recommendations to the Kearney City Council regarding:
- The creation and implementation of plans to furnish adequate public parking facilities within the district
- The creation and implementation of plans to acquire, construct, maintain and operate public off-street parking facilities for the benefit of the district area
- Planning the beautification and improving the general architectural design of the district
- Planning and promoting the improvement of streets, lighting, and traffic control for the district
- Improvement and decoration of any public place in the district area
- Promotion of public events which are to take place on or in public places in the district area
- Assist in the payment of general obligation bonds issued for the construction of such parking facilities
In April, 2015, the DIB entered into a contract with the Kearney Area Chamber of Commerce to hire a Downtown Coordinator. The responsibilities of the Chamber are to provide downtown services, including but not limited to special events, promotions, economic revitalization, and research, as well as providing general promotional activities including website and social media presence.
Downtown Kearney, affectionately known as “The Bricks,” supports three committees whose purpose is to further the mission of the DIB.
- The Organization Committee is responsible for fundraising, the management of volunteers and communications.
- The Promotion Committee works on image development, special events and retail promotion to encourage shopping throughout the district.
- The Economic Vitality Committee strives to redefine the district’s identity and develop strategies to nurture new businesses and services that will produce a success driven climate.
The DIB and the Kearney Chamber’s goal is to make downtown Kearney an area of pleasant shopping, dining, economic activity, entertainment and living.
Download the Historic Downtown Kearney Walking tour to your MP3 player or burn to a CD and take part in an interactive tour of The Bricks. The audio tour is under 15 minutes and covers ten blocks. It takes no more than one hour at a leisurely pace.
Downtown Kearney: The Bricks offers some of the finest shopping and educational experiences in the Midwest. Promoted by the Kearney Downtown Improvement Board, this historic district features unique boutiques, jewelry stores, men’s and women’s apparel, furniture stores, fine dining, specialty pubs, and nightlife experiences. Not only is the retail community healthy, but there are a variety of service-related businesses that support the needs of the community, as well as the Museum of Nebraska Art (MONA). The vibrancy of The Bricks is a direct reflection of the tremendous community support and pride in Kearney.