The Downtown Improvement Board (DIB) was created by the Kearney City Council to oversee the Offstreet Parking District #1. The DIB consists of five members, all of whom own, operate and/or manage businesses within the District.
The DIB advises and makes recommendations to the Kearney City Council regarding:
- The creation and implementation of plans to furnish adequate public parking facilities within the district
- The creation and implementation of plans to acquire, construct, maintain and operate public off-street parking facilities for the benefit of the district area
- Planning the beautification and improving the general architectural design of the district
- Planning and promoting the improvement of streets, lighting, and traffic control for the district
- Improvement and decoration of any public place in the district area
- Promotion of public events which are to take place on or in public places in the district area
- Assist in the payment of general obligation bonds issued for the construction of such parking facilities
The DIB contracts with Bridgett Lavene Consulting. The responsibilities of Bridgett Lavene Consulting are to provide downtown services including but not limited to promotion of the district as a whole, special events and a digital awareness through the website, social media and e-mails.
The DIB and the Bridgett Lavene Consulting’s goal is to make Downtown Kearney an area of pleasant shopping, dining, entertainment and living.
Downtown Kearney: The Bricks offers some of the finest shopping and educational experiences in the Midwest. Promoted by the Kearney Downtown Improvement Board, this historic district features unique boutiques, jewelry stores, men’s and women’s apparel, furniture stores, dining, specialty pubs and nightlife experiences. Not only is the retail community healthy, but there are a variety of service-related businesses that support the needs of the community, as well as the Museum of Nebraska Art (MONA). The vibrancy of The Bricks is a direct reflection of the tremendous community support and pride in Kearney.